Monday, December 7, 2009

Long Live the King


There has been a week long celebration of HRH the king's birthday (Dec 5).
The whole country goes into celebration mode. He is 82 years old, and one of the world's longest reigning monarchs. The Thai people revere him as god, and the respect for his royalty is seen and felt throughout the whole country. Negative criticism of this monarchy is never heard on the streets, and any one who publishes anything negative, is put in prison. Even though Thailand is in the rift of political polarism, all parties have the same level of respect for their king. It is a beautiful thing, and I think all countries and kingdoms of this world would do well to take a close look at their respect and loyalty. Customarily he makes a speech on the eve before his birthday, but this year he was not able to because of hospitalization. Please pray for him.

Jordan and I went to a huge celebration here in Chiang Mai, at http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/2009/nov/4589.asp There were perhaps over 10,000 people there to raise a candle to the king, and to watch the fireworks display. I don't think I have ever seen a fireworks display quite like this one. It was phenomenal. Also, I don't think I have seen that many people in one place singing a song of tribute to a person and raising a candle to show there reverence. It was an amazing, and burdening sight.



Below you will see some pictures of the Royal Pavilion built in honor of the king. Inside are many murals of the king and the good things he has done over the years for his people.




Just remember, this is one location in Chiang Mai, which is one city in all of thailand. Every where in every city, this praise and worship is taking place right now. martin.

1 comment:

  1. I was just imagining how awesome it would be to see a whole country of people who revere Christ as King and to see them hold a candle and sing a song to Him! God bless you in your work there! -Keith

    ReplyDelete